Tuesday, June 05, 2007

remembering jim...

When I think of Pastor Jim... my History and Prophecy lessons with him, my wedding last year and my electronic Bible never fail to come to mind.

Pastor Jim had been a constant fixture in our lives. From the day we got to know him and his family, he made a point to be in touch. It was as if there were no oceans between us. He was there every step of the way to guide us and help us be strong in our faith. He was one of the best teachers I had - he would always encourage us to ask questions to learn more.

He was also a great, compassionate friend. I still can vividly remember, about 12 years ago, when the electronic Bible he gave was confiscated at my University. He came with me to the school and talked to the Dean of the Pastoral Affairs who was in possession of the item. He had a long conversation with him questioning why they had to get the Bible and why it should be rightly returned to me. Unfortunately, we did not get the Bible back but I was deeply moved and touched by what he did.

The last time I saw him was at my wedding. Despite his very delicate health condition, he came to officiate. We humbly requested him and his family to be there, understandably he could not promise to come, but he did come. I, my wife and our whole family could not be happier. But our goodbye was bittersweet. For he somehow knew that it would be the last time we'd see each other.

When I think of these and so many other good things he did for me, for the Philippine brethren and for everybody, I feel so blessed and grateful to have met and known him. His untiring efforts for the ministry, his unselfish act of sharing of what he had, his enduring patience to continue the work despite his limiting physical strength and health condition, his relentless advices not to waver from the faith will always be in our hearts and vivid in our memories. He was, still and will always be an inspiration for us to continue the things he taught and showed us, to be steadfast in our faith and to do the things that please God so that when the day comes, we will all be in His Kingdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home